Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cheers to my NOOK HD+ !!!

My interest in reading eBooks made me decide to have a tablet. I got my very first one from Barnes & Noble few weeks ago, the Nook HD+. Totally satisfied, this urged me to write a short review of this tablet base on experience. 

Nook HD+ is an eReader with a high-definition 9 inch screen display and built-in WiFi. It's very easy to use. It also allow users to watch HD movies, download free apps and games through Google Playstore, send and receive email, browse the web, read PDF files and access Facebook. I can also buy or rent movies or books online if I want to but I'd rather go for the free ones. Haha! 

My main purpose was to have an e-reader and I was totally blown away. The graphics are so fine and beautiful. The letters are very clear and crisp. You can zoom it and even adjust the font style and size according to your preference.  The swiping or moving from one page to the next is also very smooth. So far, I am enjoying the clean display and easy navigation.

Watching videos/movies is also great!  Nook HD+ has a very good color contrast. The volume is very clear. The video supports MP4, 3GP, etc. so whenever I want to watch a movie, I just convert it to Nook Output format (Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) and transfer it to my tablet. And then enjoy the movie!

Playing games is not that important but I'd still want to share that because of the HD display, you can still get a different gaming experience. 

There's just one thing that Barnes and Noble should have added in this tablet, a built in camera. It would have been nicer to take pictures or make a video call through Skype using this. But then again, for an eReader, I am very satisfied with it.

Battery Life
Charging will take 4-5 hours. 
Based on experience, I could use it for 7 or more hours by reading eBooks, watching movies, reading manga and playing games. That's not bad for an eReader.

Other things I like about Nook HD+:
  • Very light- at just 18.2 ounces
  • Highly responsive touchscreen
  • HD display
  • Expandable Memory
  • Crisp text (It makes reading ebooks more inviting)
  • Scrapbook feature (letting you tear a magazine image you like and save it)

What I don't like:
  • No consistent BACK button. Sometimes, I had to press the Nook button located at the bottom of the tablet for me to get back to the homepage.
To sum up everything, Nook HD+ is very good tablet especially for wide readers and movie fanatics. As my first tablet, I am so happy about it. Cheers!


  • Barnes and Noble is in the United States. Special thanks to my friend, H.K, for making it possible for me to own this Nook.